The ability to discover information (that may be seen, felt, sensed, smelled or tasted) about an event or person by touching inanimate objects associated with them. This process works best when the object from which you are reading is one that the “owner” imprinted their energy upon (something worn or carried every day). Metal objects such as jewelry (rings are great), watches, or keys work the best because metal is an excellent conductor of energy.
“Psychometry (from Greek: ψυχή, psukhē, “spirit, soul”; + μέτρον, metron, “measure”), also known as token-object reading, or psychoscopy, is a form of extra-sensory perception characterized by the claimed ability to make relevant associations from an object of unknown history by making physical contact with that object. Supporters assert that an object may have an energy field that transfers knowledge regarding that object’s history. Joseph Rodes Buchanan coined the word “psychometry” (measuring the soul) in 1842. The word stems from psyche and metric, which means “soul-measuring”.” [Wikipedia Reference]
Example: “An experienced psychometrist might hold an heirloom ring and be able to report something about its origins, about the person who owned it, their personality and significant life experiences. Emotions are registered into the object and it may be possible to sense what the owner felt like at a certain point in time.”
Additional on-screen or in-print examples which you might not have noticed:
- In the 2009 action film Push, psychics called Sniffs can relive a person’s past and their location by touching or sniffing objects.
- In the television series Chuck (2007- ), the main character has the ability to flash, or have a memory blast when coming into contact with or sighting something.
- In the novel The Witching Hour, the first of Anne Rice’s Mayfair Witches trilogy, protagonist Michael Curry receives the power of psychometry.
It also serves to say that Psychometry is related to Clairsentience. When practicing psychometry and/or “reading” an object, many people choose to also hold/touch an individual’s hand which can strengthen the connection. What I call “downloads” (getting impressions or information by holding an individual’s hand/hands) are also a form of this gift.
Practice Often. Below is an example exercise, borrowed from Mind Spirit Guide, which can help you sharpen your Clairsentience and Psychometry gifts.
Here is an easy exercise you can try with the help of a willing friend or two.
1. Sit in a quiet location with your phone turned off.
2. Close your eyes, relax, and put your hands on your lap palms facing up. Tell yourself you will be able to receive impressions from whatever object you hold.
3. Keeping your eyes closed, have someone put an object in your non-dominant hand, the hand you don’t write with. If there is more than one person with you, the person who places the item should be silent so you don’t know who did it. The object ideally would be something that has been with that person for a long time.
4. Stay relaxed and as pictures, feelings, words, and impressions come to you, say them out loud or write them down.
5. Mention everything you “get” even if it doesn’t make any sense to you. The nonsensical information might be relevant to the owner of the object you hold. Describe everything just as it comes to you without editing or analyzing, whether it is vague or quite clear.
The Touch (book)